Damiana can be consumed in a few different ways, namely by tea, vaping, smoking or making a liquor.
While Damiana has some immediate effects, they tend to build up and increase over a period of weeks. As with many herbs, consuming it regularly in smaller amounts will lead to longer lasting benefits, while punctual high doses tend to have a short lived but stronger effect. After a period of regular consumption of any herb, a pause of a few weeks is always recommended before the plant is taken up again.
The most common method is to brew Damiana into a tea. Tea is often considered the most effective method and is best taken at regular intervals over a period of a couple of weeks to fully bring out its benefits.
For regular consumption, use about 1 to 2 teaspoons per cup, and steep in hot water for 10-15 minutes. To brew a strong, one off dose, use 10-15 grams of dried Damiana and steep in 1 liter of hot water. You can reduce the water amount by boiling it off, or just split up the dose in various cups.
Add in a little bit of honey to add a little bit of sweetness to the drink!
If you like to vaporize, Damiana is a good candidate. Vaping allows for all of the chemical compounds to be efficiently extracted and inhaled. The ideal vaporizing temperature of Damiana is 190 degrees Celsius.
This is the least favoured method of taking Damiana. Simply use it in a pipe or joint, like you would with tobacco. Unlike vaping or making a tea, smoking Damiana is harmful to your health. This is due to the process of combustion involved in the burning of the plant matter. This process creates a plethora of harmful toxins that are present in smoke.
The Damiana liquor is another common and effective way to consume the plant. Here’s how you do it:
1. Mix 60g of dried Damiana leaf for every liter of vodka, and let this soak for at least 10 days.
2. Strain though a meshed strainer and then filter off with a coffee filter.
3. Take the alcohol drenched leaves and soak them in about 500ml water overnight.
4. Strain and filter the leaves from the water, throw away the plant matter.
5. Gently warm the infused water and add 1 - 2 cups of honey; slowly dissolve the sugar in the water.
6. Mix the infused vodka with the infused honey, and let it sit for 2 - 3 months. After that, carefully decant the liquor and bottle.