There is very low risk associated with the use of Ginkgo; however, research has found that Ginkgo can cause unwanted side effects within certain people, more specifically, those who are:
- Suffering from severe circulatory dysfunctions
- Taking anticoagulant drugs (such as aspirin)
- Take certain types of antidepressants (such as MAOI’s and SSRI’s)
Note: Recent studies suggest that Ginkgo has a very minimal impact on those taking anticoagulants, but caution is still advised.
Side effects in these conditions include:
- An increased risk of bleeding
- Gastrointestinal discomfort
- Heart palpitations
It is worth noting that standard preparations of Ginkgo are considered safe, and side-effects are very rare.