Weed Stash: How To Make False Bottom Drawer
If you happen to live in a household that isn’t cannabis friendly, or can’t trust your housemates not to help themselves, then a false bottom drawer may be the best solution to your worries.
Looking for the ultimate place to hide your stash? Why not go old school and build yourself a false bottom drawer. That way you can hide your cherished bud without anyone ever being the wiser. It is a simple DIY project that will truly take your stealth skills to the next level.
WHAT YOU NEED
6mm thick plywood – ideally the same colour as your drawer. If not, you may need to paint it.
4 corks – or 4 other small objects of identical size
A thin metal rod – thin enough to fit through the hole you will drill
Drill with 3mm drill bit (can be a bit larger if you want)
1. Take your drawer and measure its internal dimensions. Make a note of these.
2. Go to your local DIY store and find some plywood that looks like the bottom of your drawer. Ideally you want to get the shop to cut to the measurements you took to save you some work and hassle – as they normally have the equipment to do it very accurately if they are a big store.
If you already have the thin plywood you need, or don’t want to pay for a store to cut it, cut it to the measurements you took.
3. Hold one side of the plywood and see if it will fit into each of its corresponding lengths in the drawer. Do not drop flat it down into the drawer, you will struggle to get it out. If it doesn’t fit, sand down the sides and try again until it does. Careful not to sand too much off – you don’t want any visible gap.
4. With your wood glue, take your corks and glue them into each corner of the drawer, lying down. These will act as the support for your false bottom, so it is important they are all the same size; otherwise your false bottom will end up wonky. You can use the corks standing up if you need more room, but the taller the bottom gap is, the more suspicious the drawer will look from above.
5. Turn the drawer over and drill a hole halfway between the two corks at the front of the drawer. This will act as a way of opening the false bottom – you will use your metal rod to push the drawer up from underneath so you can grab it. It doesn’t have to be a metal rod, but you need something thin, strong, and long enough to poke through the bottom of the drawer and push up the false bottom so you can grab it.
6. Now that you have done this, you can optionally line the compartment with fabric to dull any rattling sound from the things you store as they move about. To do this, take your fabric, like a cut up old t-shirt, and place a layer in the bottom of the compartment. Do not cover the corks or opening hole.
7. Fill your compartment and slide your plywood into place!
It’s as easy as that! You now have a super-secret stash location in the form of a false bottom drawer. It should fool any prying eyes, such as those of housemates or family. All things considering, it is a fairly straight forward and easy project, you just need to do it without anyone knowing in order to keep it a secret!