Can You Really Be Allergic To Weed?

Published :
Categories : BlogCannabisScience

Can You Really Be Allergic To Weed?

The argument for cannabis prohibition is on the ropes. The latest argument? Allergies.

According to new research, it has been found that the pollen cannabis plants can cause allergic reactions similar to those suffered by people with hay-fever. It is not really much of a surprise, but is none the less being used as the latest argument against cannabis.

THE RESEARCH

The paper itself reviews medical evidence and cases where people have had a diagnosed allergic reaction to marijuana. This isn’t just from breathing in the pollen, but also from touching it, eating it, and injecting marijuana (what?!?). Apparently symptoms ranged from itchy skin, sneezing and nasal congestion; all the way to anaphylactic shock. According to the researchers, “although still relatively uncommon, allergic disease associated with cannabis sativa exposure and use has been reported with increased frequency.”

IS IT TRUE?

Yes, it is possible. However, there are things that need to be taken into account, so that this information is not misconstrued. Firstly, this is not a new development. Cannabis has been around for thousands of years, and has not suddenly evolved to cause allergic reactions. Then there is also the fact that millions of people use cannabis every single day, and have done for a very long time, yet this is only just coming to light. You don’t hear about severe allergic reactions from any of them, and there has not ever been a death directly caused by the use of cannabis.

There is also the fact that all pollen producing plants can cause allergic reactions. Just because cannabis is illegal doesn’t mean this especially applies to it. In fact, it’s not just pollen producing plants, but pretty much everything you can consume has the potential to cause reaction.

One thing that is noted from this research, and the media reporting surrounding it, is that a lot of cannabis is mouldy and covered dust mites – which in turn increase the risk of reaction. This is ridiculous. First off, no it is not. The majority of people do not let their cannabis get mouldy, and know how to store it. Then there is the fact that if it was mouldy, you wouldn’t use it. You wouldn’t eat mouldy food, so why would you eat/smoke mouldy cannabis. It seems like a very farfetched argument to us, and a tad desperate.

ARE YOU AT RISK?

We suppose the actually important question is are you likely to be allergic to cannabis? Well, most of you will already know, but for those who don’t: Not really. It is extremely rare, and you would have to be very unlucky to have any kind of allergic reaction. Marijuana has been used safely for millennia, and will continue to be so.