How to make Indian Cannabis Bhang Lassi
Bhang lassi is the traditional Indian drink with a twist – it contains marijuana. Find out here how to make the popular spiritual drink.
Bhang lassi is a beverage created from the leaves and buds of the cannabis plant, carefully prepared into a unique drink. Bhang has been used in India for generations and this drink is the traditional preparation that is enjoyed by many across the subcontinent. While the use of Bhang lassi is a common, day to day occurrence for some, it is especially around the time of Hindu festivals such as Holi where it is most popular and harnessed for spiritual use. It is also used as a common relaxant and appetite stimulant – it is not really seen by the people of India as a drug.
To make bhang lassi you will need the following:
Bhang (cannabis) – 15 grams
Milk – 2 cups
Water – 1 cup
Sugar – 100 grams
Coconut milk – 1 tablespoon
Chopped Almonds – 1 tablespoon
Powdered Ginger – 1/8 of a teaspoon
Garam Masala – 1 pinch
Grenadine – ½ a teaspoon
Mortar and pestle
1.Take your water and bring it to boil in a saucepan.
2. Add in your cannabis and allow it to simmer for 7-10 minutes
3. Strain the water into your second saucepan, removing the cannabis from it.
4. Place the cannabis and 2 tablespoons of milk into a mortar, or something similar and grind them together. Repeat this process a few times.
5. Now add some more milk into the mixture along with the chopped almonds. Continue to slowly grind the mixture together, repeating a few times once again.
6. Strain the liquid through your sieve to remove the excess cannabis plant matter, and proceed to pour the milk, coconut milk, grenadine and water into one pan.
7. Bring it to boil whilst stirring continually.
8. Whilst stirring, add in the remaining ingredients and continue to stir until they are dissolved.
9. Take the mixture off the heat. Once it is at a reasonable temperature, place it in the fridge to continue cooling for a few hours.
That is it! You now have some bhang lassi, ready for your culinary enjoyment – best served cold.