Recipe: How To Make Cannabis Infused Honey
Honey, nature’s answer to refined sugar, is a sweet delicious treat that has been consumed by humans since the days of cavemen. For those of you like things a bit more natural, honey is the perfect sweetener to be used as an ingredient for cooking, or as a topping on an already prepared dish.
The popularity of honey has seen a resurgence in recent years, thanks partly to the drive to be healthier, and minimise the amount of processed foods we eat. When compared to refined sugar, honey has a healthier glycaemic index, thanks to the way it is absorbed by the body.
What makes honey even better (in our eyes), is that it is the perfect carrier for a cannabis infusion! So if you like to cook with cannabis, and are trying to cut down on the amount of processed sugars you eat, why not infuse a pot of honey with some of your herb, combining the two desires into one!
Making cannabis infused honey is an extremely easy and quick process, however, in order to do it, you will need an alcohol based cannabis tincture. You can check out our guide to making one here.
It may be possible to create this infusion with a non-alcohol based tincture, but we have not tried it. If you wish to experiment and try yourself, you can find a guide to making a non-alcohol based tincture here.
To make some cannabis infused honey, you will need:
A cannabis tincture
A Pyrex jug (or an alternative heatproof container)
A large cooking pot
1. The first thing is to figure out the dose. You hopefully have a good idea of how strong your cannabis tincture is, and will have tested it beforehand. You will want to be mixing one tincture dose for ever tablespoon of honey used.
2. Mix your desired amount of honey and cannabis tincture in your Pyrex jug.
3. Put some water into your large cooking pot, and then place your Pyrex jug into the water. You want the water level to be about half way up the side of the jug. This will create a water bath for you to heat up the honey. Note: Do not put water into the jug!
4. Place your pot, with Pyrex jug in it, onto your stove. Bring the water to a simmer.
5. Now that your water bath has heated, continue to mix the honey and cannabis tincture until they have fully melded together, reaching an even consistency.
6. Let the cannabis infused honey cool, then pour it into an airtight container. Store it in a cool, dark place.
7. Enjoy at your leisure! Remember, one tablespoon equals one dose.
There you go, you now have your very own cannabis infused honey to use as part of your cooking, or as a naturally sweet topping!