Is It Okay To Mix Alcohol And Cbd?

Is It Okay To Mix Alcohol And CBD?

Miguel Antonio Ordoñez
Miguel Antonio Ordoñez
Last updated:

CBD’s recent explosion in popularity has led to its inclusion in a wide variety of different industries ranging from foods to cosmetics. One sector currently gaining steam is the market for CBD-infused alcoholic beverages. But what are the implications?

Infused cocktails can be found in upscale California bars, while Oregon’s cannabis-friendly culture has seen a steady rise in CBD IPAs. Moreover, Canada is set to join the CBD-infused alcohol party in October of 2019.

On a global scale, the trend of breweries partnering with licensed marijuana companies has experts believing that infused drinks will soon become a big part of the legal marijuana market.

Related article

How To Make Cannabis Beer

However, even if you consume CBD and alcohol separately, you can still expect them to interact. In fact, it is believed that even if consumed several hours apart, these substances will still affect one another. 

How Does Alcohol Affect The Human Body?


When alcohol is ingested, roughly 20% of it enters the bloodstream immediately through the stomach, while the other 80% is absorbed through the small intestines. Once it enters the bloodstream, it is transported to the liver for processing and metabolisation.

Alcohol has numerous effects on the brain and body in both the short and long-term. In the short-term, alcohol tends to cause cognitive impairment, poor judgment, loss of coordination, trouble concentrating, and mood swings. It can also cause visual impairment, high blood pressure, and nausea. In the long-run, alcohol can cause chronic issues such as memory loss, depression, learning problems, and liver fibrosis.

How Does Cbd Affect The Human Body?


After it is consumed, CBD is processed by a regulatory system called the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The ECS is a network of cell receptors throughout the body that interact with cannabinoids and enzymes to produce effects. Researchers believe that the ECS is responsible for regulating homeostasis (internal equilibrium).

Although CBD doesn’t have a high affinity for the ECS’ two main receptors, research shows that it interacts directly and indirectly with several other kinds of cell receptors. These include 5-HT receptors (5-hydroxytryptamine), PPAR receptors (peroxisome proliferator-activated), and TRPV1 receptors (transient receptor potential vanilloid type 1), among others.

Clinical and animal studies show that CBD may have a range of applications. However, because CBD works via such a complex physiological network, and because everyone is different, the strength of its effects may also differ from person to person.

What Happens When Alcohol And Cbd Are Mixed?


Cannabis and alcohol are both depressants, and consuming them at the same time will most likely amplify their effects. Depressant drugs affect the central nervous system. When consumed in small doses, the CBD induces stimulating effects. However, when consumed in large doses, CBD also exhibits relaxing properties.

A clinical study (Consroe et al., 1979) from 1979 dosed human test subjects with both alcohol and a combination of alcohol and CBD. Researchers detected “few differences” between the two groups in terms of inebriation or impairment, with both groups showing a significantly reduced ability to function. Interestingly, researchers found that test subjects who also consumed CBD had lower blood alcohol levels than those who consumed just alcohol. This indicates that CBD may have some role to play in the management of blood alcohol level.

However, anecdotal evidence suggests that consuming both cannabidiol and alcohol at the same time amplifies the relaxing effects of each. As your level of intoxication grows, you can also expect a greater loss of inhibition and motor coordination.

Are There Any Advantages To Mixing Alcohol And Cbd?


Some evidence exists to suggest that CBD may actually have some beneficial effects related to the consumption of alcohol.

If nothing more, taking CBD after drinking may improve your hangover symptoms (Parker et al., 2011). Because alcohol and cannabidiol appear relatively safe to mix together, taking a dose of CBD near the end of your drinking session may give you a head start on that hangover.

Miguel Antonio Ordoñez
Miguel Antonio Ordoñez
With an AB Mass Media and Communications degree, Miguel Ordoñez is a veteran writer of 13 years and counting and has been covering cannabis-related content since 2017. Continuous, meticulous research along with personal experience has helped him build a deep well of knowledge on the subject.
  • Consroe P, Carlini EA, Zwicker AP, & Lacerda LA. (1979). Interaction of cannabidiol and alcohol in humans -
  • Linda A Parker, Erin M Rock, & Cheryl L Limebeer. (2011, August). Regulation of nausea and vomiting by cannabinoids -